Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Firmware upgrade with Linux?

slinky

Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Postby slinky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 am

Hi, there was a note in the QNeo package: "...you must do the following": install the QuNeo Software Installer, plug in QuNeo, open the Editor, let the firmware update automatically.

Umm... but I'm running Linux, how to do this? Wine didn't work.

Can you show the protocol specs and the firmware blobs...?
TheSupport@KMI

Re: Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:38 pm

We don't support Linux.

The QuNeo itself will work fine on Linux as it is a class-compliant device so it requires no drivers, but with running the software there are no guarantees.

If you received your QuNeo within the last two weeks or so it should already have the most recent firmware on it anyway.

Do you have a way to send SysEx messages/files to devices on your machine? If so, I could just get you the SysEx files required to manually update your firmware.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
slinky

Postby slinky » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:05 am

CarsonKMI wrote:Do you have a way to send SysEx messages/files to devices on your machine? If so, I could just get you the SysEx files required to manually update your firmware.
Yes, thank you, that would be good!
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:30 am

Ok, I've attached a zip of the two SysEx files you'll need to send to the QuNeo. You should first send the "enter_bootloader.syx" file to the QuNeo — this will put it into bootloader mode, so it's ready to receive firmware. You'll know it worked if the mode button (top-left circle) lights up and stays blue.

Then you should send the other file, "Quneo_Firmware_v1.1.2.syx" to the QuNeo — this will load the firmware onto your QuNeo. The blue light should start flashing if it is working properly.
Attachments
quneo-newest_firmware.zip
firmware_1.1.2 and enter bootloader
(57.71 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
slinky

Postby slinky » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:39 pm

CarsonKMI wrote:Ok, I've attached a zip of the two SysEx files you'll need to send to the QuNeo. You should first send the "enter_bootloader.syx" file to the QuNeo — this will put it into bootloader mode, so it's ready to receive firmware. You'll know it worked if the mode button (top-left circle) lights up and stays blue.

Then you should send the other file, "Quneo_Firmware_v1.1.2.syx" to the QuNeo — this will load the firmware onto your QuNeo. The blue light should start flashing if it is working properly.
Hi Carson, thank you again, the SysEx method worked perfectly. See, you DO support Linux after all :)

For the record, what I did was dirt simple:

1. Attach QuNeo via USB cable
2. Figure out the MIDI device. For me it was /dev/snd/midiC2D0. I use ALSA + Pulseaudio. YMMV.
3. cat enter_bootloader.syx > /dev/snd/midiC2D0
4. cat Quneo_Firmware_v1.1.2.syx > /dev/snd/midiC2D0
5. That's it. Profit.

Since SysEx dumps have no timing information writing directly to the device works fine without specific sequencing in time.

Carson, would it also be possible to get the SysEx message specs for configuring pad velocities, sensitivity, etc. in the QuNeo? I didn't find those in the documents, so far at least.

Why do I ask? Well, I presume the Windows + Mac programs just write SysEx commands to the device. Having the specs would help Linux people to eventually come up with a nice configurator too. (Although the default presets are great, and I'm running #14 with Renoise, the hands-on imperative rules...)
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked.

I'll see what I can do about the preset loading/editing stuff. I'm not entirely sure how that side of things works.
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi slinky, this is Dan in hardware/firmware dev. Sorry for the delay in getting to you, I don't know if you're still interested, but I think with a little bit of work it would be possible to come up with a set of command-line tools for editing preset information. I'm a little too busy to generate them myself, but I'd be happy to help support. If you or anybody is interested, let me know. At the very least it would be easy for me to share with you the code to take a preset JSON file and convert it into a sysex file that can then be used to update the presets on the device.
Fernand

Postby Fernand » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 am

Hi, Dan,
It would be great if you'd post any scripts here that you can share, like the firmware sysex files were posted. People will probably figure out good uses for the stuff.
Thanks!
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Cool, I'll just have to clean up the code a bit and then I'll write a post about how to make it work.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:49 pm

The Linux and OSS worlds are all about making things work, and if you can just supply us with the information, we will surely turn it into a useful tool.

As my QuNeo is en route, and I am a linux-only user (as I type this on a win box, LOL!) AND a software developer, I would gladly work to make a useful tool for preset editing/updating.

Looking forward to your next post!

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”