Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Firmware upgrade with Linux?

TheSupport@KMI

Re: Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Well, if it means anything, the KMI people think you're doing good, worthwhile stuff!
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:44 pm

elmquist wrote: I'll wait for the finished source code
Please don't wait! At least try one of the alpha binaries and report success or failure-it would be very helpful to me as a developer to make sure there aren't any unexpected dependencies or issues masked by my machines.

Please donate 10 minutes of your time!
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:56 pm

Yeah, thanks jrussell! I know it can get a bit discouraging sometimes, people can be very unresponsive, but it's very encouraging to me to see all the work you've done on this!
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks TheSupport@KMI and demcanulty - I just don't want to see the Linux support loose momentum, and quite honestly am a bit surprised at the lack of response with how active this thread has been.

Status update:
locally I have had firmware updates being sent from the editor to my queneo - its ugly , the code is a mess, and right after the firmware update it crashes, but it can work. I know where the issue with the crash is (switching back from exclusive to shared midi connection) so that is minimal issue.

The real issue is I have not used QT much, and getting things like dialogs to go away when I want them to is still eluding me :)

Hopefully the next time I get a couple of hours to work on it (probably by the weekend) I can finish at least an alpha level of support for this last missing function.
connerlacy
KMI Moderator

Postby connerlacy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:36 am

@jrussel

Feel free to send me the code that's giving you problems and I can try and help you sort it out.

As for closing dialogs, getting the pointer to the window and calling the close method should work:

Code: Select all

dialogWindow->close()
Though, often it's not that simple. It all depends on how you've set things up.

This might be useful: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtwidgets/qdialog.html

Again, please don't hesitate to send me code if you'd like me to have a look before you push to the repo.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 pm

connerlacy wrote:Again, please don't hesitate to send me code if you'd like me to have a look before you push to the repo.
Thanks Connor - I will definitely reach out when I get a little further along. I get the basics of QT, and had even tracked that piece down.. just wasnt quite sure where it came to play in the editor software. Part of the issue was my starting point was the Mac version of the Midi class, and not all of the supporting code comes in without the mac defines :)

There is some good news - I have discovered a way to do the big sysex (firmware) without the switching between shared and exclusive connections - which will make things way more useable. Having to disconnect core tools like a2jmidid just to update the quneo was really annoying.

I am hoping to have a crack at it the next couple of days.
jrussell

Full Function QuNeo Preset Editor for Linux!

Postby jrussell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Just a bit of a Teaser.. I have just sent the update that makes the KMI QuNeo preset editor fully functioning on Linux! All functions (except for toggle-preset-change-out, which dosnt work on windows either as far as I can tell) are working, including Firmware update!

I will post binaries over the next couple of days.
jkroll

Postby jkroll » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:58 am

There are a few reasonable definitions of Open Source, and "the SysEx protocol is open now that a user helped reverse engineer it" is not one of them. Collecting Kickstarter money for an "Open Source" project and then creating a closed product is really dishonest. I was ready to buy one and recommend it to my friends because it looks like a great piece of hardware. But now, I'm not so sure.

To jrussell and the others: The work you're doing on the editor is great, and very important I think. As a Linux-only audio user, a working editor with proper GUI is really a requirement to be able to use the thing! :) As for the shared vs exclusive access: I would choose option 2, shared access for setting parameters. If reconnecting in shared mode is a problem (like you said, device ID might change etc.) then maybe you can have the user reconnect the device manually after flashing. That's no problem because you don't upgrade firmware all the time anyway. But changing parameters should work in a way that doesn't interrupt the workflow, hence shared.

I tried the editor and it does start on my Ubuntu 13.04 box. One cosmetic thing: The word "Sensitivity" below the "Global Sensitivity" knob is partially clipped. Other than that the UI looks fine. As I don't have the hardware yet, I couldn't test any more than that. I think I will wait until at least an officially supported version of the editor, including source, is available.

To demcanulty: what do you think about making the firmware source code available? Others in this thread have made good points to convince management about the benefits of an open source community working with (and for) you. :) It's great that you're convincing people to open up the editor, that's already more than you can say about the KORG Nano line for example... Being able to create alternate firmwares would be even more useful. Please, keep nagging your management to make this a product that can be really called Open Source, in some accepted sense of the word. You probably don't want to open up the schematics, but as others explained, you don't really have anything to lose and much to gain by opening up the firmware. (BTW: You talked about an expensive compiler; what processor does the quneo use?)
bruno

Postby bruno » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi all,
Just signed up for this forum. We at SCLOrk (Santa Clara Laptop Orchestra) will start using 16 QuNeos as part of our performance gear. We run Ubuntu Linux so I'm just posting here to say that any kind of Linux tool to edit QuNeo presets would be fantastic. In an ideal world I'd love to see the a Linux version of the QuNeo editor (or at least a Windows version that worked with Wine). Otherwise, command line tools would be great too!!
Thanks,
Bruno
bruno

Postby bruno » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:09 pm

whoa! Only now finished reading through all the 14 pages of this thread! I hadn't seen them at first when I sent my first message.

@jrussell, I saw your 9/18 message saying you are about to post binaries of the latest version. I am very much looking forward to try it! I'm not a programmer, but I'll be happy to help with testing as needed. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Thank you all,

Bruno

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”