Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Firmware upgrade with Linux?

demcanulty

Re: Firmware upgrade with Linux?

Postby demcanulty » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:26 pm

It's the only one that feels like it has a little mini community :)
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Looking at those view counts, I wonder if we might have triggered some crazy bot action. I wish I could see a graph of the thread views, I'd bet there's like a single day where it suddenly started to spike. But still, I can't think of any more active and diverse thread. I would really like to have an argument for releasing the firmware, I was hoping that previous poster would give me some ammunition.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:47 pm

I'll throw this one bit into the fire.. There was a mention of $1000 compiler earlier in the thread.. it appears that Silicon Labs provides a free development kit?

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Page ... tware.aspx

I am NOT a microcontroller programmer, so I know NOTHING about this realm.. :)
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:25 pm

There is a free compiler that can be used with that IDE, the Small Device C Compiler, but it's not code compatible and on such a large project might result in some major porting headaches. But it could conceivably be done.
jscott

Postby jscott » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Dan, I was looking into this, they recently updated the $99 devkit to include not just the $495 assembler that it included before, but they now throw in the full $1395 c compiler as well, not the free demo one that's limited to compiling 4k of code max. I'm not sure if it comes with the floating point library which I'm pretty sure is necessary for your build and formerly was included with the $1395 compiler only, but I think it does come with that in the new bundle. If not, all we really need is fixed point anyway and not the full IEEE 754 fp standard their library implements, so if we had to we could build a simple fixed point library fairly easily.

Anyway, I am probably going to get the dev kit just for the heck of it because $99 is less than $1395. I agree $1395 was not a reasonable amount for hobbyists. I bet they sell more chips with this new devkit configuration.

So, if possible, it would be really nice if even if you don't do the whole firmware because of secrets if you guys could publish an address and i/o port map with the sensor mappings. Or maybe a barebones skeleton - like the code to run just raw sensor mode, which would be a pretty nice starting point. Something to think about. I'm totally happy at the moment using it in raw device mode right now with my 14 bit (just extrapolated from the center of gravity) controllers on the horizontal and vertical sliders. Since the device has to be run tethered to a USB host it's really not much different than what I'd do with firmware access. Raw mode makes it really easy to fool around with and do neat new things. But it would be also be cool to be able to in the future write directly to the flash and reconfigure it into a new device. This opens the possibility of more technically minded users to create totally new performance modes that just take over the whole system.

BTW, whether or not we have this, now that I understand that the AtoD convertors are 10 bits and there's possibly 10 bit pressure per sensor coming in though, it would be really helpful to have access to that for the pressure in particular since I run the aftertouch range up in the head room and with the current 7 bit info I have to lose resolution doing so.

Oh also, instead of toggling, could you please do on and off messages for the raw LED control mode? The problem is with the toggling since we can't query the device it's not possible to know what effect toggling has.

Thanks for letting us know about the chip, I think low level hacking could be a lot of fun.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:08 pm

I agree on / off would be more use full for all functions.. toggle even with query is just not as efficient. I would also like to see all request messages complemented with a corresponding ack message - in the editor for instance this would be very useful so the software doesn't have to assume the command was successful.
jrussell

Postby jrussell » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:25 am

Hey, just a small update on my latest work here..

As I have recently purchased a brand new Macbook, preinstalled with OSX Mavericks, I of course wanted to build the QuNeo editor here (one of my reasons for getting the mac was to be able to compile my software on all 3 major platforms..) and found that QT4 is not supported easily here - I would have to rebuild everything using CLANG as Mavericks has moved completely to clang and no longer includes gcc/gdb. It turned out the easiest route was to grab the QT 5.2.0 beta, which has at least a start for clang/lldb support in qt-creator.

This "forced" me to modify QuNeo editor for QT5 - and I have been mostly successful - the editor runs and connects to my quneo.

I am having issues with actually completing preset updates, so there is still work to do, and I am still trying to put together the pieces to debug on OSX..

I will try to build on my linux machine soon.. I am just in the process of re-orging my computer setup, so the new mac is my only currently stable machine.

I have not pushed this back to the official repo yet, but I wanted to at least let this forum know I had done some work in this direction incase there was interest and to prevent duplication of effort. I know @elmquist had asked about QT5
jkroll

Postby jkroll » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:49 am

Hi there!

The private QuNeo editor repository for Linux has been up on github for several months now. I am successfully using the app and several others seem to use it as well.

So how about an actual release with source code and binaries for everybody?
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:37 am

Would indeed be lovely with a source code release of the QuNeo editor. And the QuNexus editor would be very nice too.

Can report that my own command line tool project is progressing though its not ready for release yet.
jkroll

Postby jkroll » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:02 am

Now the Quneo Linux Editor repository on github, which was previously privately shared to only a few beta testers, has been silently disabled:
private connerlacy / QuNeo-Editor

Repository Disabled

This repository is currently disabled. Please contact the root repository's owner, connerlacy to resolve the issue.
Hello folks, what's up with your totally *open* product?

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”