Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Rotary tilt function?

Pongoid

Rotary tilt function?

Postby Pongoid » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:56 am

Is there a way, short of an OS update to implement a tilt function in the rotary sensors of the Quneo to facilitate a direct mapping of controls to the multi-point panners on the K-Mix?? If not, how much of a pain in the ass would such an update be?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Rotary tilt function?

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:08 am

I'm not sure what a 'tilt' function is in regards to a rotary control. Are you looking for angle (location) and radius?
The QuNeo rotaries are fundamentally different in their design from the rotaries on the K-Mix, so there is no option to include that functionality in future firmware update.
Pongoid

Postby Pongoid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Yes, I was looking for a radius function so that the QuNeo could fully emulate the rotary controls of the K-Mix, so that panning automations could be recorded and sequenced in a manner similar to the way the K-Mix's panners function, and played back in live performance settings. I mean, it would be great if there was some way that the X/Y values of the drum pads could be interpolated into angle/radius values so that a hardware sequencer could capture panning automations or something, but I don't see that kind of OS upgrade happening in the near future, either. Oh well, back to the proverbial drawing board until you guys update the K-Mix, I guess. Thanks for getting back to me.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:10 am

Not sure what update you're referring to here for the K-Mix? Is it the MIDI channel thing? Or being able to record surround panning directly to the device (never going to happen most likely)?
Pongoid

Postby Pongoid » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:01 pm

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:Not sure what update you're referring to here for the K-Mix? Is it the MIDI channel thing? Or being able to record surround panning directly to the device (never going to happen most likely)?
The K-Mix update is another issue. But being able to send data to the a sequencer that the K-Mix will receive and respond to is what I'm after.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am

You'll have to translate the data, which would require some middleware, or a m4l device if you are using Live.
You'd want to scale the data from the X/Y location to be from -63 to 64 (-1 to 1) and then use some trig to translate the vector (X, Y data) to angle, and magnitude.

The angle, in radians, is arctan(y/x). To get degrees from 0 - 360 (which you would then scale from 0 - 127) is theta * π/180.
To get the magnitude (or distance in this case), use the pythagorean theorem. xˆ2 + y ˆ2 = mˆ2.

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”