Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Any word of a firmware update?

Tausendberg

Any word of a firmware update?

Postby Tausendberg » Sun May 19, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm considering buying a rogue and a second quneo but I can't get past the fact that the quneo doesn't have any sort of polyphonic aftertouch implementation.

This kills me because, traditionally, a lack of polyphonic aftertouch was mainly due to a lack of the necessary wiring inside the hardware but, correct me if I'm wrong, the quneo has everything it physically needs to implement poly AT.

I talked to someone at the KMI booth at NAMM and I was told a firmware update was being considered sooo...

Can we expect a firmware update in the foreseeable future?

Or, alternately, crazy question but if there are going to be no more firmware updates, would it be out of the question to maybe open up the firmware so that power users could make their own custom firmwares?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Any word of a firmware update?

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue May 21, 2019 7:16 am

We don't have the resources at the moment to release the firmware. This requires documentation and support, and we just aren't able to do that at the moment. Once we get the KBP4 to a point that we are satisfied with we will be circling back to some of older products. I can't promise a firmware update soon, or anything at all at this particular moment, but we would like to improve the usability and feature set of some of our older products if we can.
Tausendberg

Postby Tausendberg » Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Alright, well, I suppose that's all totally understandable. So, even best case scenario... not anytime soon. Well that's good to know, thank you!
mooter

Postby mooter » Wed May 22, 2019 3:43 am

Totally understandable. They've only had, what, 7 years to implement it?
Tausendberg

Postby Tausendberg » Fri May 24, 2019 4:51 pm

I might be biased because I was briefly involved in a business startup and now work for my family's small business but I have to say, I can sympathize with KMI in this.

KMI is not Behringer or Roland, when you're a small business you might have a lot of ideas of what you think you should be doing but very limited capacity to act on them and I figure KMI mgmt probably figured the firmware is good enough, which, in many ways it is 96% of everything I want from it, and that they have to move on to keep the lights on, which is what's at stake when you're at this level.

Also, factor in that when the last firmware dropped, there really wasn't the hunger for poly AT that there is now with MPE and various exotic new controllers appearing all over the place.

All I'm saying is, I can sympathize with KMI's decisions and I'd go so far as to say that they deserve that sympathy because they are making instruments that aren't attainable elsewhere.
unity2k

Postby unity2k » Fri May 01, 2020 11:20 am

I'm still grimacing about having bought my QuNeo 5 years ago and still it doesn't work with Bitwig.

If you are not going to properly support a device, why are you still selling it?
Taika-Kim

Postby Taika-Kim » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm using it with Bitwig as a generic MIDI controller. The custom control script for using it did work in the past, but IMO Quneo was not really suitable for that kind of use, it makes much more sense to use it just as a programmable controller.

I would though really love to see MPE support, but I guess that would require a rewrite of the whole firmware.

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”