Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Cleaning dirty Pads

dijidave

Cleaning dirty Pads

Postby dijidave » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi All,
my QuNeo's pads are starting to get "dirty" which doesn't look so good.
Does anyone know a safe, effective way of cleaning off my grime, I don't want to damage this cool toy trying to keep it looking smart.
regards,
Dave 8-)
TheSupport@KMI

Re: Cleaning dirty Pads

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm

It's ok to use rubbing alcohol to clean the silicone. Or just some soap and water will be fine.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
pcbforbrains

Postby pcbforbrains » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:52 pm

thank you thank you thank you
dijidave

Postby dijidave » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:22 pm

pcbforbrains wrote:thank you thank you thank you
for your prompt response, I wasnt sure if moisture could penetrate & cause damage.
Regards,
Dave
demcanulty

Postby demcanulty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Start with just water and then progress up to alcohol as needed if there's a tough or especially oily bit of dirt. The water will be gentler to the coating on the silicone and to the rubberized coating that is on the plastic. I've never seen alcohol harm it, and we clean them with alcohol sometimes at KMI, but at the factory where they're made, I notice they clean them with water before they package them up.

Regarding permeability, this video might provide some amusement in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-SwEmg3lGU

The silicone under the plastic is all one big piece, so it should do a pretty good job of keeping the liquid away from the PCB. The most likely danger point is the USB receptacle, if you get liquid in there you might short something out or if you submerse it in a lot of liquid (like accidentally drop it while you're playing in the bathtub, or rescue it from a sunken ship) you should try to let it dry out completely before powering it back up.
dijidave

Postby dijidave » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 am

Thanx demcanulty,
I watched the video & was so reasured I bit the bullet & gave my QuNeo a good scrubbing with cold soapy water & now it's so squeaky clean it looks like it's brand new again.
Regards,
Dave Lewis
kazakore

Postby kazakore » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:23 am

demcanulty wrote:rubberized coating that is on the plastic.

That coating is absolutely horrible!! Why would you do that? After being away and my unit being in storage in a safe place and not touched I find it is sticky to the touch, grimy, taking fingerprints and really really nasty! The stuff is so adhesive it could not be washed off easily and generally I would want to avoid putting alcohol or chemical on the pads so you forced me to dismantle the unit, not as easy as it could be due to your excessive use of glue, and then scrub and scrub and scrub to remove that nasty, sticky layer!!!

Hopefully it will still be OK when full dried out and put back together..... :-/
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:07 am

You will not be able to reassemble the QuNeo if you have broken the sonic weld.
Maclaren

Postby Maclaren » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 am

I know exactly what you mean bro, but it's not nearly as bad as you're describing it. At least it wasn't in my case.

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”