Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Smooth X/Y response with Live

hilomart

Re: Smooth X/Y response with Live

Postby hilomart » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:13 am

Hi,

I realize that this question is pretty late, and definately a beginner question. But, this is the most relevant thread I could find to post this question.

I recently got the quneo to complement my softstep, and am having trouble mapping the x-y on a pad (in drum mode) to the autofilter or flanger trackpad in Ableton. I've gone through the manual, tried presets and COMA mode, (and looked for online tutorials), but it seems that I'm missing something. Could someone help me know how to do this?

Sorry again if this question is a bit simple, but for some reason, I just can't figure it out!

Thanks in advance!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:43 am

You can't map to the yellow 'handle' in the x/y controls in Live, you have to map to the parameters that are linked to the x/y control. For instance the frequency, and resonance of the autofilter.

If that's what you're doing, and still having trouble, you'll have to be a bit more specific about where you're running into trouble.
hilomart

Postby hilomart » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes, I've been (for example) trying to map not the yellow dot, but the Feedback (Y) and Delay Time (X) parameters of a flanger in Ableton. I was hoping to use the pad on Quneo like a trackpad or Kaosspad, where when the parameters stay latched to the last point on the pad my finger touched. (The manual seems to say this is possible, and youtube videos show it, but I could not figure it out the exact settings either in the eiditor or in COMA mode, to make this work.)

I've tried making a preset in the editor, but was unsure of how exactly to set up the pad parameters to get this done.

For example, in the basic Editor for Drum Mode, I've tried (among other possible combinations) :

Note = 36, etc
Pressure = 127

X = 127
Y = 1

(In Normal Mode, not Toggle)

X Return & Y Return = latch

Vel/CC Output = 127 - 1

Would you suggest trying to program it in COMA mode instead? (As, I have to close live each time I want to make an adjustment in the editor, when trying to find a combination of settings that works to get this done.) Anyway, I realize that this is a pretty basic question, but if you or anyone could offer advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:20 am

So your pad setup looks like this?
Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 10.13.39 AM.png
That should work fine.

Sorry to state the obvious, but be sure to Save your Preset, AND send it to the QuNeo by hitting the 'Update' or 'Update All' buttons.

You don't program anything in CoMA mode, you do your mapping in CoMA mode. Due to Live's MIDI Mapping, trying to manually map devices that send more than one MIDI message at a time is a nightmare. When you enter CoMA mode (by holding the blue circle button in the upper left corner for 2 seconds) you hit the lower left corner of a pad to output the X CC value and the lower right corner to output the Y CC value. Use this to map X to the cutoff freq. and Y to the resonance.
Pongoid

Postby Pongoid » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:17 pm

The other thing one might consider is going at this from the other direction. You can adjust the parameter range in live, thus leaving the range you adjust to be only a useful one for that particular instance of that device. you can do it either within the device or in a Macro. If I recall correctly, Macros also have some features regarding smoothing and parameter jumps within automations that are useful. Food for thought.
mooter

Postby mooter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:21 pm

Has anyone gotten the right setting to get the best xy response? I think a firmware update screwed something up, because when it first came out I was getting great XY response out of the box, but now no matter how much I change settings around, the values 'hug' the sides of an xy control onscreen.

Specifically I'm using an XY effect in Reaktor and you can hardly get the response off of the sides. You have to make very small increments to go the cursor to get closer to the center because it's like 'magnetically' attracted to being at 0 or 127 values. I'll try a different xy effect and see if it might be the reaktor ensemble...and I'll check midi-ox...

Ok it seems like it might be the reaktor ensemble...standard midi mapping to Live fx seems right, and that sensitivity adjustments would would fine tune as expected...

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”