Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Aftertouch?

Share your wishes for the future of QuNeo
dijidave

Aftertouch?

Postby dijidave » Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Has anyone wished yet for "Pressure" data to be sent as MIDI Aftertouch message (either Channel pressure or Polyphonic pressure) yet. Could this please be included in a future update.
Regards
TheSupport@KMI

Re: Aftertouch?

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Thu May 09, 2013 10:39 am

Yes, this is a feature request that has been logged.

Right now you could always use something like Bome's MIDI Translator (http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator) to convert pressure CCs into channel aftertouch. I think OSCulator (http://www.osculator.net/) can do it as well.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
peterdines

Postby peterdines » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:05 am

+1 for this. Poly pressure would be super.
sinapsya

Postby sinapsya » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:18 am

I really need this, specially for make a dynamic note repeat...
For make a hi-hat roll with different velocity.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:41 am

In the meantime you can always use something like this: http://confusionists.com/software.mjdj.aspx , or OSCulator, or the often mentioned Bomes MIDI Translator (pricey, but extremely powerful). All of them are able to take MIDI input from a controller and translate it into different MIDI messages. So the pressure CCs could be turned into Channel Pressure or Polyphonic Aftertouch.
machine_

Postby machine_ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:35 am

just FYI, Ableton Live doesnt support note Aftertouch data, it even filters it out so VST's wont receive it.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

Well, Live does receive Channel Pressure (one CC-like message for all pads/keys) — that's what Push does. But yes, Live doesn't want you using Polyphonic Aftertouch at all.
hazardman

Postby hazardman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:23 am

another +1 to request this feature...

i just received my unit the other day and was quite surprised to find that the QN doesn't transmit either channel or poly touch--only CCs?...

i have many hardware and softsynth patches that i regularly use channel pressure on so it seems bit odd that a third party software is required to transform the CCs when the QN should support this on it's own...

anyway, not too big of a deal as i can transform the CC in logic's environment...just wont be able to directly do this with standalone softsynths without a thrid-party...

and, just wondering, what solutions are there for the KMI Expander and ipad?
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:43 pm

hazardman wrote:i just received my unit the other day and was quite surprised to find that the QN doesn't transmit either channel or poly touch--only CCs?...
This is not entirely correct. The default presets do not have channel pressure or polyphonic aftertouch enabled, but the QuNexus certainly can send them.

All you have to do is open up the editor and you'll see a line for Channel Pressure and a line for Poly After Touch — just set the "Source" to "Pressure" for whichever one you want to use — then save and send your preset. Repeat for any of the presets you want it enabled on. Your QuNexus now transmits poly aftertouch and/or channel pressure.
hazardman wrote:and, just wondering, what solutions are there for the KMI Expander and ipad?
For getting MIDI into the iPad via an Expander there is the Alesis IO Dock, IK iRig MIDI, Line6 MIDI Mobilizer II, Griffin StudioConnect, and iConnectMIDI (might be some others as well).

But if you're just trying to get the QuNexus into an iPad, you can always get the Camera Connection Kit and just plug QuNexus' Computer USB jack into it — it'll show up fine as a MIDI device and the iPad is capable of powering QuNexus. This is assuming that you wouldn't be plugging into a computer at the same time, though.
hazardman

Postby hazardman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:36 pm

humm, just been messing around with the "pressure" (on the QuNeo) to see if i can convert it channel pressure...looks like i can but the implementation is not correct...

from my experience, aftertouch is only sent after a note-on message (that's why it's called aftertouch ;) ) followed by new pressure on the depressed key/pad...

with the QuNeo, the moment the note is triggered the pressure value is also sent with a start value similar to that of the note velocity...furthermore, a new note is re-triggered when the pressure value drops below and then above zero...

obviously, "traditional" channel/poly pressure is independent of the note on and off message thus avoiding such re-triggering...

as a result of my testing (i hope i didn't miss some sort of setting), there doesn't seem to be a way to truly replicate channel/after-touch behaviour even with third-party software to convert the CC because i can't make the QuNeo's pressure data independent of the note on and off--at least on a per-key-based approach...

channel-aftertouch can still be achieved if a separate slider on the QuNeo is assigned and then converted by 3rd-party...however, this would not be feasible for polyphonic aftertouch because pressure data is for an individual note and not for the entire key range on the same midi channel....

so with the above experiments i do hope that aftertouch is not a physical limitation on this generation of th QuNeo hardware and that KMI will be able to implement this in a firmware update...

here's to crossing my fingers...
Last edited by hazardman on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “QuNeo Feature Wishlist”