Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Bitwig Script requests

Share your wishes for the future of QuNeo
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Bitwig Script requests

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Hello All,

I have been working on putting together a script for QuNeo integration with Bitwig Studio. I am interested to hear what kind of features and functionality you'd be interested in seeing in a control script.

Clip Launching?
Drum Pads?
Step Sequencer?
oh_rats

Re: Bitwig Script requests

Postby oh_rats » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello!

I'm glad to hear! I was wondering if someone was working on that :)

So far as I can tell there are a few directions the script could go. If the focus is on allowing us to play bitwig's devices, it would be nice to be able to use Quneo's sliders to control bitwig's rainbow sliders (and to have some way to switch between the presets), while using the drum pads to play instruments. (Step sequencer functionality would probably be interesting to add down the road, but to me getting access to the smart parameter mappings feels like a bigger priority.) This could be done while leaving a number of parameters on the quneo unassigned (e.g. pressure and x/y location on the drum pads) for the user to map manually if needed. Getting to use bitwig's smart parameter mapping for its devices is definitely what I'm most looking forward to.

I haven't thought as much about what features would be most important for using quneo for mixing/triggering clips. I also don't know whether these quite different uses of quneo in controlling bitwig are best covered by a single api or by multiple ones.

Looking forward to see what you come up with!!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks for the reply.

My first instinct is to make a script that will facilitate playing instruments and manipulating parameters.

The pads will play notes, you can shift octaves with the right hand up/down arrows
The horizontal sliders will be your parameter control. Use the left and right arrows to access the next 4. OR I could use the vertical ones as well to give 8 parameters.
The rotaries will be sends.
Select tracks with the left up and down arrows.

How's that sound?

I'd have to make another script for clip launching metinks.
oh_rats

Postby oh_rats » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:49 am

That sounds fantastic! I personally suspect getting both the vertical and horizontal sliders to control the 8 rainbow parameters would feel best - it would really help getting the fast hands on, hardware synth style of parameter control that bitwig devices are going for. But I'm not sure if in practice that would really be the best option.

Also, it would be really nice to have some way of selecting or scrolling through the presets of the "parameter page" and "fixed section" of the rainbow controls without touching the mouse. Perhaps one of the arrow pairs could be used for that? (Or maybe the long horizontal slider - not sure what would be most convenient.)

(Basically what's in the back of my mind is the functionality they implemented in the nanokontrol2 api - e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzcRLfZ40i8)

I'm looking forward to what comes out of this!!! Thanks so much for putting this together!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:15 am

Just checked out that nanokontrol vid, that implementation looks pretty rad (And I can probably ust swipe most of the code for it from the nano script).

I might toss the scripts into this post as I am developing to get some feedback if you're game. Keep in mind that this will probably be slow going due to a number of things, but mostly that I am a musician and not a programmer :)
oh_rats

Postby oh_rats » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 pm

This sounds great! Thank you so much for looking into this! I can't wait to see what you come up with!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:14 pm

HERE IT IS. version 0.1 Beta.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyi9tb1fo63tc ... s_v0.1.zip

Check it out, let me know what you think. I'd like to add some more features, and maybe get rid of the useless VU meter.

Some things I am thinking:

1) add an option to switch from auto parameter bank control to automatic Macro control.
2) Putting the pads into grid mode to facilitate a wider range of playable notes at a time.
3). Adding multiple modes that are selectable with the rhombus button.

-E
oh_rats

Postby oh_rats » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Woa, I thought you said it would take some time! :o

Will be trying it over the weekend!!! Looking forward to it!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:33 pm

UPDATE!!

New version available with more fun stuff to play with.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s34s50wktc8ln ... s_v0.2.zip
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:51 am

UPDATE:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/207 ... s_v0.3.zip

This version includes 4 scales: major, minor, and in key modes for both.

Return to “QuNeo Feature Wishlist”