Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Retro led lighting and midi adresses suggestion

Share your wishes for the future of QuNeo
karistouf

Retro led lighting and midi adresses suggestion

Postby karistouf » Mon May 26, 2014 11:47 am

Hi.
I m not using Quneo in music, but with lighting.
And i m also developping an open source program for lights (http://www.le-chat-noir-numerique.fr/index_eng.html ), wich is using midi out to remote midi controllers, such as launchpad or BCF 2000.

So my feed back for quneo improvement is based on experience, and code / hardware knowledge.

Quneo is really a very intelligently done controller, its a very strong hardware very well designed, despite only one point: retro lighting.

I have a real need to have my sliders showing up levels modified from inside my software.
Midi levels are sended back to the hardware to refresh faders knobs and buttons to what can be manipulated from inside the software (LFOs, automations, states)

First I m very annoyed to have fixed adresses for retro lighting.
As i m changing controllers from concert to show, depending of my needs, i have very differents (hardware and functions) midi set up
Usually, midi controllers are CH MIDI based in their logic, using CH 0, or CH 0 to 7 fo their faders and rotaries ( thinking to UC 33, and many others).
So i have taken the habit to identify in Midi Channel > to 9 my additionnal hardware to avoid conflict of adresses between different hardware

With the Quneo fixed adresses for retro lighting, i have no choice to re-adapt all my set to the quneo, if i want to use retro lighting on Pads, or faders, to avoid conflict with adresses

Wich is quiet a long long time to do for me, because i have plenty different shows touring, relying on different midi configurations.
so for the moment, i m not using Quneo, because it will force me to pass a long long time on many shows just on this point.

Second,with this system of fixed adresses the 4 pages of sliders, rotaries and V-H faders, cant be used with retro lighting, as the ID is fixed to CH 0 et CH1 an CH15.
Power of pages is lost definitively there.

I dont know if you have enough memory to handle a versatile and not restricting retro lighting.
i hope so, because this is really constraining, for a tool wich is, in its will and spirit, a tool giving freedom.

Do you think possible to improve the firmware ?

yours, christoph :)
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Retro led lighting and midi adresses suggestion

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon May 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Haven't heard the term 'Retro Lighting' before. Are you referring to the fact that external control of the LEDs has fixed midi values? If that's what we are talking about, then I totally agree that mirroring of midi out to midi in to control lights would be a great advantage.
I'd have to talk to our engineers, but I am not sure that we have enough memory on the hardware itself to implement this feature.

It's definitely been talked about in the past and I will forward your request along.
karistouf

Postby karistouf » Mon May 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes im talking about led control from software

Aka my fader in quneo is ch13 p56
If i manipulate in the software the fader (lfos automation mouse control) it will send to quneo ch13 p56 velocity manipulated ;-)
karistouf

Postby karistouf » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 pm

ok, after some use, the LED pannel enables to control led feedback quite nicely.
so i should have taken more time inside th equneo before posting ;-)

But for the fader part i still thinking its quite a mess no to have access to the 4 banks in led feedback ;-)
juttt45

Postby juttt45 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:40 am

I dont know if you have enough memory to handle a versatile and not restricting retro lighting.
i hope so, because this is really constraining, for a tool wich is, in its will and spirit, a tool giving freedom.???

Return to “QuNeo Feature Wishlist”