Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

QuNeo How to use in cubase as a remote & vst midi controller

Show off your QuNeo tricks here
MFX

QuNeo How to use in cubase as a remote & vst midi controller

Postby MFX » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:46 am

Hi

Can anyone gelp me get the Quneo set up for a couple of use.

The issue is it appears not to be sending midi over usb into Cubase, yet shows up in cubase as a controller. Maybe mode options but I am unclear how to determine what mode I am in at any given time.

1) Cubase 6.5.
2) To set up the 16 pads as 4 seperate channels for 4 different x/y functions:

ie :
row 1 = u-he's Zebra Midi channel 1 in Cubae pad1=x/y mode filter 1,2 x/y mode 2,3 x/y mode 3 ,4 x/y mode 4 etc.
Row 2 - Camel Audios Alchemy channel 2 in cubase pad 1 =x/y and so on.

And how to easily switch between cubase mode and multi inbstrument mode?

I may be running before walking.
Thanks
lphovercraft

Re: QuNeo How to use in cubase as a remote & vst midi contro

Postby lphovercraft » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:04 pm

I've been using Cubase for more than 20 years. I'm also pretty good with routing MIDI and external controllers. So when I say your post makes almost *no* sense to me, I'm not being flippant. Can you be more specific/accurate/detailed in what you're asking?

If I was to guess - and it's only a wild guess - I'd say that you're looking at setting up the four rows of controllers on four separate MIDI channels coming out of QuNeo. That is not so difficult or controversial. Just RTM and program the QuNeo in COMA mode - then save a preset to call up for that use.

On the Cubase side things are more tricky, and somewhat depend on how you route MIDI into the host app. At a first glance - assuming you you'd need to set up routing/filtering so that each individual MIDI/Instrument track is only 'seeing' the one channel of pad info that you intend it to receive. If this is the case, then you'd need to set up a tranformer preset to delete any MIDI data that's *not* on the channel you want the VSTi to 'see'. I've attached a simple example as an image.

You would need to set up one of these for each MIDI/Instrument track you choose to control at the same time from the QuNeo controller.
Attachments
MIDI Transformer that deletes non-MIDI channel 2 data.
MIDI Transformer that deletes non-MIDI channel 2 data.
Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft Music
Desktop - Intel i7 920 12GB RAM - RME HDSP 9652
Notebook - Intel i5 8GM RAM - ASIO4All/internal chipset
Arturia Origin, Spark - KMI SoftStep, QuNeo
Mobius Megatar, Roland VG-99/VB-99
dijidave

Postby dijidave » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:08 pm

"Just RTM and program the QuNeo in COMA mode - then save a preset to call up for that use" is exactly what I would like to do, howewer I can't find instructions for saving CoMA mappings as presets.
In the CoMA video tutorials it only says that the Quneo will revert to the current preset when CoMA mode is exited. It would seem to me that some sort of integration between CoMA mode & the Quneo editor is needed.
I would like to control multiple VST's on different tracks, in Ableton Live, by switching presets.
At the moment I can map controls to one VST only in CoMA mode but have no way to save the mapping if I want to use a different mapping on a nother instrument.
Any help would be appreciated
Fernand

Postby Fernand » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:29 pm

CoMA mode is to isolate the sub-elements of what a pad/slider is sending, so that you can apply MIDi-Learn on what you are controlling. Nothing is changing in the Quneo, it's all on the other end, so there is nothing to be stored upon exiting CoMA mode. If you want to transfer behavior between pads to use similar mapping on a different pad for another VST, you would use the Editor, then save to a Preset.

I'm using Cubendo and haven't yet found an optimal way to integrate the Quneo, if that makes you feel any better. The way I look at it is that it's a great set of drum pads, the rest will come over time for very specific purposes. It's not easily a replacement for a Mackie style control surface.

Return to “QuNeo Tips and Tricks”