Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

QuNexus + iPad

Show off your QuNexus tricks here
Panda

QuNexus + iPad

Postby Panda » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:13 pm

A big question I come across is: “Can I use QuNexus with my iPad?”

Well, yes! You can :)

Here’s a simple video to checkout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0AgsNC9xHU

Here’s the connector: iPad Camera Connection Kit

[ iPad Soft Synth + QuNexus ]
carnbot

Re: QuNexus + iPad

Postby carnbot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:08 am

Hi,

I've just received my QuNexus and tried to attach it to my Ipad mini 2 using an unofficial lightening to usb adapter and it doesn't work. It is working when attached by usb to my pc so the keyboard works.

My question is does it work when attached to ipad mini 2 using Apple's official lightning to usb adapter?
Can anyone at KMI confirm this? I don't want to buy an expensive cable (£25) to find it wont work either. Some reviews of the cable say it doesn't work with all devices especially since the ios 7 update.

Any help on this would be appreciated :)
many thanks
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:22 am

Hi carnbot! From what I remember there are a special low power mode for iPad on QuNexus. Consider trying that with your current adapter.
carnbot

Postby carnbot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 am

elmquist wrote:Hi carnbot! From what I remember there are a special low power mode for iPad on QuNexus. Consider trying that with your current adapter.
Hi, thanks :) do you know how to enable the low power mode? It doesn't say anything about it in the instructions online.
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:00 am

carnbot wrote:Hi, thanks :) do you know how to enable the low power mode? It doesn't say anything about it in the instructions online.
You were right! There seems to be no special low power iPad mode. So its just connecting the controller using a standard camera connection kit. And it should work: http://youtu.be/9sIYCkoAjk8

One idea though: Do you have another class compliant USB/MIDI device that you can test your iPad USB connection with? Or could you walk into a nearby music store and test with one of their controllers?
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 am

The devices that that work with iOS through an Apple camera connection kit (and Lightning kit) are QuNexus, QuNeo, 12 Step, and SoftStep.

The QuNexus should work without any extra power. QuNeo needs to go into low power mode OR needs to use a powered USB hub. 12 Step and SoftStep need extra power so they can be powered through their expander port or with a powered hub.
carnbot

Postby carnbot » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 am

Ok great
It must mean that my generic lightning USB adapter isn't as good as the official one, either that or Apple blocks them from working somehow. I will have to try with an official one.
elmquist wrote: You were right! There seems to be no special low power iPad mode. So its just connecting the controller using a standard camera connection kit. And it should work: http://youtu.be/9sIYCkoAjk8

One idea though: Do you have another class compliant USB/MIDI device that you can test your iPad USB connection with? Or could you walk into a nearby music store and test with one of their controllers?
No I don't have another device but yes I could walk into a store to test, I might try that thanks :)
davecriss

Postby davecriss » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:53 am

Hey Gang,

I also have an iPad Mini and purchased a 3rd party lightning camera connection cable from Amazon. Turns out my iPad didn't like it at all, in fact it gave me a warning message: This Connection Kit is Not Supported! (or something to that tune).

Once I took the plunge and purchased an actual $30 Apple Camera Connection cable everything worked as it should.

It is a shame that we have to pay for apple branded stuff but so it goes.

Happy Playing!

Cheers,
dave
dave@keithmcmillen.com
carnbot

Postby carnbot » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:23 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks, I went out and got an official Apple lightning camera connector and it's working too so yeah a shame that third party ones don't work but am glad now that I've got my QuNexus working anyway :)

cheers
boring

Postby boring » Wed May 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Do you have another class compliant USB/MIDI device that you can test your iPad USB connection with? Or could you walk into a nearby music store and test with one of their controllers?

Return to “QuNexus Tips and Tricks”