Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Channel Rotation to multiple virtual instruments

Show off your QuNexus tricks here
justjohn

Channel Rotation to multiple virtual instruments

Postby justjohn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Here's something silly I'm messing around with.

I set up the QuNexus for six channels of channel rotation. I set note toggle to on.

In Ableton:
  • I set up six MIDI tracks, one per channel.

The output of MIDI tracks 1 & 4 are sent to (what I'll call) consolidated track A, which has an arpeggiator feeding an instrument.

The output of MIDI tracks 2 & 5 are sent to consolidated track B, which has an arpeggiator feeding another instrument.

The output of MIDI tracks 3 & 6 are sent to consolidated track C, which has an arpeggiator feeding yet another instrument.
That's the basics of it, tho I also add stuff like the "Scale" MIDI effect between the arpeggiators and instruments, and sometimes the "Chord" effect before the arpeggiator. Also, I've varied the routing, like 1 patch for one instrument, 2 for another, and 3 for the third.

This can generate some interesting ambiences, for sure.

And using this is where I discovered that the octave shift re-triggers EVERYTHING, so now I take that into account. You can hit STOP in Ableton (even if you weren't playing in Ableton) and all notes go off, but then you can hit an octave button and everything starts going again.
justjohn

Re: Channel Rotation to multiple virtual instruments

Postby justjohn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:36 am

Here's an example: https://soundcloud.com/just-john-jj/dublexology

It was recorded live in an Athens Holiday Inn room, using the QuNexus through an Ableton template of mine. The only after-processing was compression.

It's kinda random, but illustrates the principle.

Return to “QuNexus Tips and Tricks”