Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

KMI Expander MIDI In

dawman

KMI Expander MIDI In

Postby dawman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Hello,
I have been using the editor and QuNexus and everything is working for me that I am trying but I need to verify that my Expander MIDI IN is actually a MIDI Thru.
So far I get no signal to pass through, I have A/B'd cables and MIDI signals oput my my Solaris synth so I know they, as usual are working.
Is there a hidden setting in the Editor maybe I am missing.
I am sending out of Solaris on Channel 14, but nowhere in the Editor am I seeing any options that relate to the function of the MIDI In of the Expander.

Thanks.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: KMI Expander MIDI In

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

I can verify that the midi expander is NOT a midi thru, sadly.
dawman

Postby dawman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 pm

I wished they would not have advertised it as that. I still want the device, but spend an extra 125 bucks buying a merge and thru box from MIDI Solutions, but those are great boxes and someday I will need them.
I am quite pleased with the QuNexus and decided to use a Quadra Merge box.
I have 2 x hardware synths and the QuNexus going into it, then out to a BCF 2000, as they are stage worthy controllers.
But if not a MIDI Thru, what purpose is the MIDI In...?
Can we recall Presets from other controllers than the QuNexus, ...I just don't understand what purpose it serves now.
Still a happy camper though, this is one well thought out advanced piece of kit.
IMG_0097.JPG
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:17 am

You can use the midi in for remote LED control, and as a MIDI -> CV converter (kind of)
dawman

Postby dawman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks, I shall check into that after my initial uses and see what might be useful.
This is really a great little portable powerhouse.
I am tweaking the PAT parameters now with a hardware Solaris synth. Really nice.
Also the CV Inputs are being used with a custom cable I had made for 2 x Expression pedals, and offsets and options for lag/control are very precise.
Great Job KMI........
mdorren

Postby mdorren » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:24 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:I can verify that the midi expander is NOT a midi thru, sadly.
No midi thru is quite an oversight imho
westofben

Postby westofben » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 pm

I have raised a feature request over in the 12 Step forum for an updated MIDI Expander.

http://forum.keithmcmillen.com/viewtopi ... =46&t=7627

Requests are for:

1. MIDI Thru
Since I am in the same boat as some of you, forced to purchase at least 2 MIDI Solutions boxes in order to route through and around the KMI Expander

2. Ability to change MIDI channel for 12 Step
This is stuck on CH 16 and it forces some creative MIDI message sending. I am changing 12 Step patches from a Boss ES-8. I must send PC to CH16 first and then send PC to other devices after this, otherwise some of the other devices change patches from what is essentially global channel

Return to “QuNexus General Discussion”