Got it working briefly. Since the unit doesn't identify itself to the DAW by name with its generic driver, I had installed it as midi controller as opposed to a keyboard. Once I switched to keyboard it seemed to work, but the velocity was ridiculously low, you had to pound the pads to get any response. Went into the editor to try and boost the velocity/output but got nowhere. Built up the sensitivity, nothing. Channel pressure, nothing. Extremely confusing editor control interface. I just want to boost the velocity, not land a man on Mars.
Then unit abruptly stopped transmitting midi at all. Clever, those Chinese.