Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Sending CV velocity / CV from pitch bend pad

devilwidget

Sending CV velocity / CV from pitch bend pad

Postby devilwidget » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:11 am

It maybe that I am misunderstanding something, but...
I want to send velocity from the Qunexus to a modular synth. I had imagined that I would set CV3 to velocity, then run CV3 into, lets say, the cutoff of a filter module. Then, when I hit the qunexus softly, the filter would open just a little, and when I hit it hard it would open a lot. This doesn't happen - velocity doesn't appear to illicit any change in my modular. Do I need a specific "velocity" cv in on my modular, or should I be able to run the quenxus to any cv input?
Equally, I am trying to set up the pitch bend so that it sends over CV - I have done this successfully - however it is still acting as a pitch bend (i.e. changing the pitch), when all I want it to be doing is affecting the cv input of where I am directing it. Is it possible to turn off the pitch bend buttons pitch function and use it just as a cv controller?
thanks all
D x
TheSupport@KMI

Re: Sending CV velocity / CV from pitch bend pad

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:07 pm

QuNexus spits out CV, 0 to 5 volts — there's nothing special about it.

One, after you changed the preset to put velocity on CV 3, did you save and send the preset down to the QuNexus using the big "Save & Send" button? The QuNexus doesn't automatically update itself, you have to explicitly send presets down to the board.

Two, are you using the correct preset (the one you changed)?

Three, what kind of cable are you using with the CV out? The CV outputs are TRS (stereo) connectors, so if you're using a TS (mono) cable then things may not work right. A simple stereo 3.5mm (1/8inch) to dual mono cable works nice for the CV outs.

Four, if all of the previous things are correct, did you plug in the correct CV out? If you're using a stereo to dual mono cable it can be hard to tell which cable corresponds to which CV out.

Five, what voltage range does your modular respond to? QuNexus outputs 0-5V.

To turn off the bend pad (except for CV):
1. Open the editor
2. Switch to the controller layer tab
3. Click on the bend pad
4. Uncheck "Participate in Keyboard Layer" (and "Participate in Controller Layer" if it happens to be on)
5. Save & Send the preset
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
devilwidget

Postby devilwidget » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:35 am

Hello
sorry for late reply, been away...

definitely using the right patch, cable, and uploading it to the qunexus. I can make pressure work on cv 1, 2 and 3, but if I switch a cv out's mode to velocity, that out no longer does anything. I noticed that the settings under the keyboard tab in the editor need to correlate with the cv tab for pressure to work (i.e. channel pressure must be set to pressure in keyboard tab, then pressure set to cv 1/2/3 out in cv layer). Is there a specific setting that velocity must be in? I am running to a standard doepfer eurorack modular. I am using a stereo mini-jack to dual mono mini jack cable. To reiterate - the cable / preset works, because I can get pressure working on all available cv outs. however changing this to velocity makes nothing happen - it is no longer pressure sensitive, and pressing the keys hard or soft illicits no change. I can get velocity to work over midi, just not cv.
help!!!
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Apparently this is a bug in the QuNexus firmware, so it's nothing of your doing — your setup and settings are entirely correct. Velocity will not get sent out of the CV outputs. This will need to be fixed with a QuNexus update.
devilwidget

Postby devilwidget » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Ok, thanks for letting me know.
Any idea when the next update might be?
Thanks
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:59 pm

We probably won't start working on an update until after NAMM, which is in January.
Patate le mage

Postby Patate le mage » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:36 am

Same problem here....
Hopefully this thread give me the answer, so i have to wait......

Return to “QuNexus General Discussion”