Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Change CC value per note on

wildfrontiers

Change CC value per note on

Postby wildfrontiers » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Hey there, I had a quick question. Is it possible to change a CC value according to what note is pressed? For example, I press key C-1 and that triggers CC#41 with a value of 30 and the next key would trigger CC#41 with a value of 31 and so on.
emmett@KMI

Re: Change CC value per note on

Postby emmett@KMI » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Yes, I believe you can.

Go to the controller tab of the editor and turn off keyboard layer and turn on controller layer.

Now for each key,

1. Turn on toggle
2. Set the toggle CC number
3. Set the the value in the CC value field and put the same value in the return field

Octave switching will no longer work.
wildfrontiers

Postby wildfrontiers » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! Tried it out.

It didn't exactly work as I had hoped. The CCs didn't change upon triggering/untriggering the toggle most of the time. It seemed like it would finally change after tapping it a few time, but there was no rhyme or reason. I gave it a try on two different pieces of gear with multiple CC messages for each and didn't have any success. I need to test it more. Even then, I was hoping this was possible without using toggling, though it's understandable. Still love my Qunexus anyway.
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:45 am

For me it works every time. You might be thinking of a toggle as something that has to be pressed twice to get to work but actually what is happening is that each time you press that key it will alternate between sending out the number in the "Toggle CC Value" and Toggle CC Return" fields. If you put the same number in both fields then you will send that value every time the key is pressed.

On your controller layer page, if you only want to send out CC data but not notes, on each desired key:

* Set note number to off
* Pressure CC to off
* Tilt CC to off
* Set your CC# in the "Toggle CC" field
* Set value and return to the desired value
* Don't forget to save and send
* Make sure you are testing the correct preset on your QuNexus (you have four slots)

It may help to use a MIDI monitor such as Snoize MIDI Monitor or MIDI-Ox to see what data is being output from QuNexus port1.

Please let me know if it still doesn't work for you.
wildfrontiers

Postby wildfrontiers » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:44 am

emmett@KMI wrote:For me it works every time. You might be thinking of a toggle as something that has to be pressed twice to get to work but actually what is happening is that each time you press that key it will alternate between sending out the number in the "Toggle CC Value" and Toggle CC Return" fields. If you put the same number in both fields then you will send that value every time the key is pressed.

On your controller layer page, if you only want to send out CC data but not notes, on each desired key:

* Set note number to off
* Pressure CC to off
* Tilt CC to off
* Set your CC# in the "Toggle CC" field
* Set value and return to the desired value
* Don't forget to save and send
* Make sure you are testing the correct preset on your QuNexus (you have four slots)

It may help to use a MIDI monitor such as Snoize MIDI Monitor or MIDI-Ox to see what data is being output from QuNexus port1.

Please let me know if it still doesn't work for you.
Hmm, I'll have to give this another go when I get home tonight. I think I'm misunderstanding toggle. What I'm trying to do is this - I have a sampler that does not play chromatically, but it does have a pitch CC. So in theory, if I map out the keys to toggle the CC# and value I want, the pitch of the sample triggered would go up or down. When I tried this out, it didn't seem to work most of the time. The pitch would change seemingly at random, no matter what key I pressed.

Good call on the MIDI monitor - I have a Mutable Instruments MIDIpal that does MIDI monitoring, so I'll check out what data is being put out tonight and see what's really going on. I'll report my findings back here. It may just be an issue with the sampler, but if I can get this to work, it certainly opens up quite a few possibilities.

Thanks for your help on this, very timely response.
wildfrontiers

Postby wildfrontiers » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Alright, I tested it. I think the issue is just with the sampler. Watching the MIDI monitor, it is transmitting the messages of what it should be doing exactly what I want it to, but what sound is coming out of the sampler doesn't match what's on the monitor.

Return to “QuNexus General Discussion”