Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

QuNexus on iPad... No note-offs!

BitRift

QuNexus on iPad... No note-offs!

Postby BitRift » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:17 am

Hi,

I'm using my QuNexus on iPad. Instead of sending MIDI note-off messages (like my Korg NanoKey2 does), the QuNexus sends "note-on with zero velocity".

I wonder why this was chosen. Strangely, when I use MIDI-OX to look at the messages that the QuNexus sends when connected to PC via USB MIDI, it reports that the QuNexus is sending real note-off messages, I don't understand why it would be different.

I know that encoding note-offs in this way is a "valid" choice. However, it has caused me a whole load of problems with various iPad apps... so much so that I've had to ditch the QuNexus as my iPad's constant companion. A couple of examples of apps that don't work with the QuNexus are Thesys and MIDI Pattern Sequencer. They just don't work without real note-offs. No problems when I switch to the NanoKey2. I have a hunch that it causes problems with Cubasis MIDI routing too, but I've not been able to establish that for sure.

I'd really much rather my QuNexus sent real note-offs. Could this be changed in a firmware update? If there's actually a good reason why this was chosen then could it be configurable?

Appreciate any reply, thanks, David
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: QuNexus on iPad... No note-offs!

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:55 am

BitRift wrote:I wonder why this was chosen. Strangely, when I use MIDI-OX to look at the messages that the QuNexus sends when connected to PC via USB MIDI, it reports that the QuNexus is sending real note-off messages, I don't understand why it would be different.
They aren't different, MIDI-OX just knows that a note message with a velocity of zero is equivalent to a note off messages.
From the Midi Specification:
A device that recognizes MIDI Note On messages must be able to recognize both a real Note Off as well as a Note On with 0 velocity (as a Note Off). There are many devices that generate real Note Offs, and many other devices that use Note On with 0 velocity as a substitute.
This likely isn't coming in a firmware update, unfortunately. It's up to the receiving device (or software in this case) to make sure all note-off messages are interpreted as such.

Good luck!
BitRift

Re: QuNexus on iPad... No note-offs!

Postby BitRift » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:22 am

It's as I expected. I suppose that, while correct, the "note on with zero velocity" signal is simply more prone to programmer error in software. I can imagine writing code to check for a note-off but forgetting to also check for the zero velocity case. Anyway, thanks for clarifying the issue for me :-)

Return to “QuNexus General Discussion”