Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

A modular Qunexus for extended key range

Share your wishes for the future of QuNexus
Mr_Keys

A modular Qunexus for extended key range

Postby Mr_Keys » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:21 am

Hi!

I don't own a Qunexus myself, but I think it's a very interesting product. Its main strong points seem to be portability and expressiveness. The main thing that's stopping me from buying one is the limited key range. I'm a piano player primarily. 88-key controllers are generally very bulky and heavy. I would love to have a super-compact 88-key controller for gigging. I think I could get used to the size and feel of the Qunexus keys, but I would really need more of them! 88 would be optimal. But an 88-note Qunexus would be too fragile, it would simply fall apart. And even if the problem of structural integrity was solved it wouldn't be so portable anymore. And what if you only needed, say 4 octaves? Then you'd have to have several different versions, and it probably wouldn't be economically viable for a small company like KMI.

I have a proposal for a new version of Qunexus that would solve all these issues, and make it a totally unique product:

Make it modular!

Basically, the idea is to remove the top 'C' key so you end up with 24 keys instead of 25, and minimize the dead space to the left and right of the keys. Then you can put two or more of these keyboards side-by-side to increase the note range from 2 to 4 to 6 to 8 or even 10 octaves (minus 1 key), and still fit it all in your backpack!

What do you think?
3rdtry

Re: A modular Qunexus for extended key range

Postby 3rdtry » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:25 pm

while we're at it. don't leave out the "missing" black keys pleaaase :)
Mr_Keys

Re: A modular Qunexus for extended key range

Postby Mr_Keys » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:02 pm

I guess these guys beat you to it...
http://www.playkeys.io/

Return to “QuNexus Feature Wishlist”