Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

routing audio from computer

kenhan

routing audio from computer

Postby kenhan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:52 pm

I just received K-Mix and upgraded the firmware to 1.3.5. I also posted some initial thoughts on https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... x.1841228/.

I'm connected to iMac macOS Sierra 10.12.5

Currently it looks like all audio from the computer, e.g. audio from Youtube via Safari, music from iTunes, all get routed to the master fader, which then go out to the monitors. Is there a way to route different audio source to different channels before sending out to master? For example, I would love to route iTunes to channel 1, Safari to channel 2, etc. so I can independently control their volume. This would be great. Thanks.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: routing audio from computer

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:14 am

There is no way for the K-Mix to address individual applications like that, and I don't know of an audio interface that can.
Doing things like routing audio in your computer to particular hardware outputs is usually handled in software, we would need to build a companion application to do mixing/routing in the computer, if we wanted this feature to be 'included' with the K-Mix.

Unless you can direct the audio from the software to particular outputs on the K-Mix this is not possible.
mojoke

Postby mojoke » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:08 am

OK, so in a live situation I need to have mics in channels 1 and 2, and instruments in 3 and 4. I then need to use K-Mix to play WAV backing tracks from my mac using, say, Itunes, and I need to mix all from the K-Mix. The audio stream in the Audio MIDI Setup window shows 10 output channels, not 8, with the stereo L+R being on channels 1+2. How do I control the level of these inputs to the K-Mix from the mixer itself? They must be routable to faders somehow?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:15 am

Probably should've opened a new topic for this.

The inputs come in on the input channels, which are controlled by the corresponding faders in mix mode, so that's already done for you.

The problem you have here is using iTunes to play your backing tracks. You can't select outputs from iTunes (say 5/6 in this case), so they would get sent out 1/2 by default. It USB output is set to POST, this audio will arrive at the main outs, if it is set to PRE it will arrive at inputs 1/2, but that will remove the analog inputs from the audio stream. You should use an application that allows you to address discrete outputs on the K-Mix.

The K-Mix is a 8 in/10 out interface (printed on the device actually) the headphone out can be used as a discrete output.
fulvius

Postby fulvius » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 am

Pongoid

Postby Pongoid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 pm

If I may offer some suggestions:

1) Don't stream during live performances. Download your content in an uncompressed format (compression for the web generally sounds like shit, and your live audience deserves far better), and stop using iTunes. It's not designed as a performance tool, it's for consumer grade listening of mostly mp3's and web-compressed streaming files. There are far better audio codecs out there.

2) Edit your downloaded content for sound quality, and use Ableton Live for live performances. That is EXACTLY the type of application that software is designed for. In Ableton, you can easily assign ins and outs to your K-Mix, and easily mix in Ableton with effects, etc, or mix directly in the K-Mix, assigning your backing tracks to your non-vocal and instrument lines (1-4), having the backing tracks assigned in Live to tracks 5-8, then in the K-Mix editor assign "Outputs: PRE" on those channels, and that will give you direct control through the K-Mix of all your levels, and no latency on your vocals or instruments.

Outputs 9+10 are the headphone outs. I don't recommend individually assigning to those except for very special circumstances, like if you were a drummer, and you were sending a click track to your headphones, or something along those lines.

Hope this helps.

BTW, audiohijack is great for ripping content to be edited, and so is JACK Audioserver, but I strongly advise against ever relying on streaming content for any sort of live performance. Your network connection could go down at any time, or you simply may not have coverage at all in your venue. Then what? Show's over? Good luck.

Return to “K-Mix General Discussion”