Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

K-Mix with Linux

mendomusic

K-Mix with Linux

Postby mendomusic » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Hello KMI-Team,

since July I had a K-Mix here for testing from musicstore.de

I liked it a lot for its small form factor, robustness and functionality packed in the unit.

The unit was detected by the operating system without issues.

I encountered the following issues:
1) When in interface mode, only channel 1-4 were converting signals from the computer to audio, channels 5-8 remained silent
2) receipt of MIDI signals was possible with the ALSA midi but not with the JACK-based MIDI routing (Jack midi works with all my other devices)

I was not able to test the unit on Windows to see if there is a problem with the product itself.

What to you assume as reason for the malfunction?
Is this an issue with the configuration?

My system:
Kernel: 4.4.0-78-generic
Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya

I look forward to you reply because I would have to return the mixer otherwise.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: K-Mix with Linux

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:54 am

Unfortunately, we have no resurces for testing or supporting Linux at this time.
I would have to say it's an issue with the compatibility with Linux and the K-Mix not any manufacturing defect or hardware failure.
The fact that it works with one MIDI specification on Linux and not another reinforces this hunch.
elmquist

Postby elmquist » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks for reporting on the Linux support, mendomusic! Its nice to know that at least some of K-Mix works on Linux.

Were you able to get audio from all eight input channels at once on Linux?

Let me guess that the best advice moving forward would be make a K-Mix unit available for the Linux developer working on kernel support. Also, maybe take a closer look at JACK to see if there are configuration files requiring a closer look.

One thing I would do if I had the knowledge and required device access would be to check how another Audio/MIDI device such as a RME audio interface communicates on the USB bus and check if K-Mix behaves differently in any way that could affect compatibility. Chances are that KMI have already done so. But its always good to check and recheck in case of problems.
mendomusic

Postby mendomusic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:45 am

elmquist wrote: Were you able to get audio from all eight input channels at once on Linux?
I haven't tried, yet.
Will do this latest tomorrow. So far I only check output.
If not, the unit goes back to the store.
elmquist wrote:
Let me guess that the best advice moving forward would be make a K-Mix unit available for the Linux developer working on kernel support.
This would the job of KMI, which according the post above they are not ready to take although the device is really cool with its compact multi-functionality. 8-)
I would then turn to other alternatives Control Surfaces and Generic MIDI Binding Maps.
But they do not have the same functionality as the K-Mix. :evil:
elmquist wrote:
Also, maybe take a closer look at JACK to see if there are configuration files requiring a closer look.
Could you be more specific which places/files I would need to look at?
elmquist wrote:
One thing I would do if I had the knowledge and required device access would be to check how another Audio/MIDI device such as a RME audio interface communicates on the USB bus and check if K-Mix behaves differently in any way that could affect compatibility. Chances are that KMI have already done so. But its always good to check and recheck in case of problems.
Unfortunately, no further devices in my place :cry:
mendomusic

Postby mendomusic » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:07 am

mendomusic wrote: 1) When in interface mode, only channel 1-4 were converting signals from the computer to audio, channels 5-8 remained silent
Solved through booting into the Windows OS and adjusting pre/post settings in USB tab.

@TheOtherSupport@KMI
Would it be possible to issue a version of the editor that works on Linux?

The QuNeo Editor used Qt libraries which are cross-platform.
mendomusic wrote: 2) receipt of MIDI signals was possible with the ALSA midi but not with the JACK-based MIDI routing (Jack midi works with all my other devices)
I succeeded to route MIDI to Ardour using Jack connection manager.
In Jack, all 3 of K-Mix MIDI ports (K-MIX MIDI 1, K-MIX MIDI 1, K-MIX MIDI 2, K-MIX MIDI 3) need to be connected to the receiving port in the host software.

I was not able to see & use the MCU messages: "diamond pad buttons will output MCU (Mackie Control Universal) transport control messages".

But this would probably require also more trying how to use it on the software side or developing a binding file for Ardour.

@TheOtherSupport@KMI
With very little effort, this thing could be rendered 100% linux compatible.

Please thinks about it.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:20 am

We currently have no plans for Linux support. Although there are a few vocal supporters of Linux, there isn't enough demand for us to dedicate resources (both immediately and moving forward) to complete Linux support.
mendomusic

Postby mendomusic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:02 pm

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:Although there are a few vocal supporters of Linux, there isn't enough demand for us to dedicate resources (both immediately and moving forward) to complete Linux support.
Would you support a community based effort to port or build a editor on Linux?

With support I mean provide some hardware information on how to access and configure functions which are not accessible as standalone?

Regards!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 am

We like to help our more intrepid users as best we can. Check your PMs!

Return to “K-Mix General Discussion”