Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Parallel Compression?

Yorgos Arabatzis

Parallel Compression?

Postby Yorgos Arabatzis » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi,
I consider buying a Kmix and i was wondering if it can do parallel compression using the send/returns...Anyone tried it?
Yorgos Arabatzis

Re: Parallel Compression?

Postby Yorgos Arabatzis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 am

Anyone?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 am

You technically could do it. Send audio to one of the aux sends, then back to one of the ins and compress that. Then send both versions of the audio to the master. Might introduce some small phasing issues though.
Yorgos Arabatzis

Postby Yorgos Arabatzis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 am

Can someone please try it and tell me if there’s any issues?It’s a very powerful technique that i use all the time!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:57 am

It works but, there is a small amount of delay between the two signals. (less than 5 ms), that may introduce phasing issues in some situations.
Yorgos Arabatzis

Postby Yorgos Arabatzis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm

I’m guessing this is because of the look ahead on the compressor?Can this be fixed with a delay value or something like that?Is this a common thing on digital mixers that’s not present when mixing with analog mixing desks and hardware compressors?I had great success with no phase issues by creating a parallel compression rack inside Ableton Live by setting look ahead mode on the compressor to 0ms.
TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:It works but, there is a small amount of delay between the two signals. (less than 5 ms), that may introduce phasing issues in some situations.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 pm

No its not due to lookahead. Its due to the internal latency of the K-Mix.
Purely analog systems have no DSP DA> AD conversion, and therefore have no intrinsic latency.Although fast, the DSP on the K-Mix does take some time (as do all DSP).
Yorgos Arabatzis

Postby Yorgos Arabatzis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks!That was really informative!
TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:No its not due to lookahead. Its due to the internal latency of the K-Mix.
Purely analog systems have no DSP DA> AD conversion, and therefore have no intrinsic latency.Although fast, the DSP on the K-Mix does take some time (as do all DSP).

Return to “K-Mix General Discussion”