Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

How to get software to recognize BopPad's aftertouch?

justjohn

How to get software to recognize BopPad's aftertouch?

Postby justjohn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi all,

Got my BopPad and quite enjoy it. My exploration of its possibilities is just beginning. For instance, I have one patch that maps radial distance to pitch bend. And that can be pretty amusing.

But I haven't been able to do what I used to do on my Roland Handsonic HPD-15, which is to press onto a pad and have the instrument the pad's mapped to get louder. And as I press less, the sound should get quieter.

The editor does indicate the pad itself is reacting accordingly. How do I get my synth patch in Ableton notice this?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: How to get software to recognize BopPad's aftertouch?

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 am

A little confused by your request here - Aftertouch and loudness are not necessarily the same thing, or related at all, so what is it that you actually want? DO you want pressure to control volume, or do you want aftertouch to be recognized by Live, or do you want to control volume with aftertouch?

If you simply want pressure to control loudness, map the pressure CC to the synth's volume.
justjohn

Postby justjohn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Tried that.

What I want: When I hit the pad and keep the finger on the pad, I want a note to play. Then, keeping the finger on the pad, I want when I press harder, for the note to get louder. And when I press less hard, I want the note to get quieter.

This is what I've always assumed aftertouch to mean.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 am

Map the pressure CC to volume. That's one way to do what you want. It won't be polyphonic though - Live doesn't support poly aftertouch messages.

If the editor indicates that the BopPad is putting out messages as you'd expect, it's a matter of configuring the software to respond properly to the messages.
justjohn

Postby justjohn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Do you mean map "Pressure" in the "Source" column to "CC" "7" in the "Message Type" column(s)?

Because other than CCs, the editor's only other options for the "Message Type" are "PitchBend", "Channel Pressure" and "Poly Aftertouch".

(What's "Channel Pressure"? The manual doesn't say.)
justjohn

Postby justjohn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Okay, the mapping I just mentioned works with Garageband, of all things, so I guess my question's answered.

Thanks.
SteveClifford

Postby SteveClifford » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Is there a way to make aftertouch(pressure CC) always return to 1? When I release my finger or stick from the pad it can stick at as high as 28, and rarely returns to lower than 5. I've messed with the gain, curve, etc.
justjohn

Postby justjohn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:14 am

SteveClifford wrote:Is there a way to make aftertouch(pressure CC) always return to 1? When I release my finger or stick from the pad it can stick at as high as 28, and rarely returns to lower than 5. I've messed with the gain, curve, etc.
I was hoping somebody who was sure about it would respond, but I guess I'll give you my theory.

I think drum pads are designed not to send "note off" messages, as keyboard controllers do, so what you're asking for isn't easy. I've had similar issues with synth patches returning to the offset values, so I made do with patches that didn't have much sustain in their ADSR definitions.

Now, there may be some wickedly clever to simulate a "note off" and that's why I've been hoping for a more expert person to respond.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:13 am

The BopPad definitely sends note offs, as do any devices that are designed to pay MIDI instruments. Without a note off everything would sustain indefinitely.

On both of my boppads, the pressure values consistently return to 1 (monitoring via the Editor) so it's not intended design to have pressure values latch like that.

Not sure what you actually mean by "Is there a way to make aftertouch(pressure CC)" Are you sending aftertouch or a CC? Those are different messages.

Return to “BopPad General Discussion”