Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Working with multiple notes on each quadrant

justjohn

Working with multiple notes on each quadrant

Postby justjohn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Okay, next dumb question:

I've loaded up each quadrant on this preset with three notes apiece. But only one -- the top one -- gets played. (If I play two quadrants, two notes get played.)

How to set up the multi-note option?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Working with multiple notes on each quadrant

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 am

There isn't really any setup involved, just add notes to the Quadrant, and that quadrant will send multiple notes.

In this setup, quadrant A will play notes 42 and 45.
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 8.09.06 AM.png
justjohn

Postby justjohn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 pm

Maybe on your setup, but not mine. I have three notes set up in each quadrant. I hit any quadrant and one note plays. I hit two quadrants and two notes play.

Have you tried multiple notes recently?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Yes, that's what that screen shot shows in the MIDI monitor, that multiple note events are coming out simultaneously.

I'll need OS, Editor version, firmware version, etc. if you want any more advice than 'this should work'. It's hard to fix things we can't reproduce.
Exporting your preset and sending it over couldn't hurt either.
justjohn

Postby justjohn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Here's the .json, zipped. (Which reminds me, I want to post something about .json in a general discussion forum.)

The patch is "Hcordo1".

The editor is the web version, 0.6.5

The firmware is the version that was pushed a couple days ago, 2.1.3

(My MacOS is 10.7.5. Remember, your website had said the Mac editor needed "Mac OS 10.7 through 10.12" until my unit arrived and I called Dave Criss' attention to the fact that the software itself demanded 10.9 and he updated the site to reflect that.)
Attachments
jj-boppad.zip
(5.85 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:24 pm

Your preset works as expected on my machine.

What browser and version are you using?
Do the factory presets work as expected?
Can you make other changes to presets? i.e. changing note values, CCs, etc.

The versions of chrome we have verified to work need 10.9, so this might be a general compatibility issue with your OS and the Editor, but knowing some of the above will help narrow this down.
justjohn

Postby justjohn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Opera for Mac 37.0.

Okay, moving over to a WIndows 7 machine, I download the editor.

I create a patch with many notes per pad, load it to the BopPad, and it works! I bring the BopPad back to this Mac, and it works!

So that answers my question. When in doubt, use the editor on the Windows machine.

Thanks.

But now I got another thing ... should I take this to another thread? I was pretty amazed to find that in both the web editor under Chrome in Win7 and in the editor itself, it seems to demand exclusive access to the BopPad. I mean, if I have the BopPad open in an editor, Live can't access the BopPad, and vice-versa. This is among my first times using MIDI under Windows. Is this normal? On my aging Mac, both can open the device at once, and I thought that was the way all modern computers did MIDI.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:00 am

Yeah, so it seems there's a general issue on older Mac systems with the Editor. 10.9 is pretty much a requirement at this point on Mac.
Could you try Chrome and see if there's any difference?

As for the MIDI on windows thing, yes, that's normal. And incredibly frustrating. The class compliant MIDI implementation on Windows allows a device to connect to only one application at a time. We want all our devices to be class compliant (plug and play, no driver required) and this is one frustration we have to deal with until Windows gets their act together.
justjohn

Postby justjohn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:36 am

I tried in Chrome on the Mac, and it behaved in the same manner as with Opera.

And re Windows MIDI behavior ... well, at least now I have another reason to sneer at Windows.

Thanks for your help in this. Now I'm armed with enough info to plan my way forward with this gizmo.

Return to “BopPad General Discussion”