Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

1 Key to activate and control Whammy Pedal

Get help from other SoftStep users.
samato

1 Key to activate and control Whammy Pedal

Postby samato » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm having a hard time getting my Softstep to turn on and rock the pedal back and forth on a Wham pedal in Logic Pro X. I want to do this with one Softstep key. Currently I have pad 5 setup with 2 messages: a Foot On and a Pressure Live. I don't know if my problem is with the Logic MIDI mapping options or what I'm doing in the Softstep editor.

I do have both things working, the pedal turns on and sweeps the pedal based on how hard I press but the pedal turns on after the sweep begins. I need the pedal to turn on immediately when I touch the pad and the sweep to begin immediately after that. Maybe I need to be in Hosted mode so I can delay the second message (Pressure Live)? I'd prefer to be in Standalone mode if possible. Please advise. Thank you.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: 1 Key to activate and control Whammy Pedal

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:37 am

It sounds like you may have mapped the Pressure Live source to both the On/Off and the Pedal parameter. If you map a CC to an on/off switch anything greater than 64 will turn it on, anything less, will turn it off. That would explain why it's turning on after you manipulate the parameter.
Did you use Logic's MIDI learn functionality to set this up?
samato

Postby samato » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks for the response. I kinda get what you're saying but don't know how to translate that into the solution I need. Yes, I used Logic's MIDI Learn function. Here's what I have setup, which results in what I described in my first post:
Attachments
Key5Wham1.png
samato

Postby samato » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:25 am

I also tried to the same concept in Ableton Live, to activate and sweep an Auto Filter. Not working as intended. So it's safe to say the problem is in how I've programmed the SoftStep as opposed to a DAW thing. That said, I'm not sure how to tell the DAW that one press is to activate the plugin and another press of the same Key is to sweep. I don't get it!

I'll go back to reading the manual and hopefully understand these concepts at some point.
samato

Postby samato » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:02 am

Ok, in Ableton I can see the problem (or at least one of the problems). Only CC 30 is being recognized, which is the Pressure Live message for the sweep. When I attempt to map the Foot On to the Device Activator, it sees it as CC 30, not CC 25. How do I differentiate the two messages?
samato

Postby samato » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:28 am

Found a solution.

The programming for the Key I posted the photo of above has two Modlines. If I disable Modline 2 while MIDI mapping the Activate button (in Logic or Ableton) it recognizes CC 25. Good. If I disable Modline 1 while MIDI mapping the Sweep (pedal position in Logic, Frequency in Ableton), it recognizes CC 30. Perfect. Then, after MIDI Mapping, just enable both Modlines and it's all good.

I had to change the Table setting in Modline 1 to linear because I want the device to turn off when I release the Key.

Not sure if there was an easier/better way to accomplish this but now it works the way I wanted.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:11 pm

That's exactly what I was getting at when I said that you may have mapped the pressure to both parameters. When using aMIDI learn function it will register the last received MIDI message, which will always be the pressure in your particular setup. The solution is to turn off one of the modlines (as you discovered) map it, and then map the other modline in the same way.
samato

Postby samato » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Yes, you gave me the problem but not the solution! :)

No, seriously, thanks for the help. Take care.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:42 pm

By pointing out the problem, it lead you right to the solution on your own :D
I think it's better that way in the long rung.
samato

Postby samato » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:33 am

You're right, it was good for me to figure it out myself! :D

So I got it working but now I could use some help getting to work a little better. I want the slightest touch to activate the plugin but I want the sweep from 0-127 to require a little more pressure before it kicks in.

Right now I'm turning off the plugin when I don't intend to and when I sweep I hear it turning off and on. I want more of a distinction between the on/off and the sweep.

Hopefully that makes sense. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've tried it the way I THINK it should work to no avail.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”