Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Faulty Backlight

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Peasy

Faulty Backlight

Postby Peasy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Ok so I got my softstep 3 days ago, today the backlight stopped working! It started cutting out for a few seconds whenever i changed scenes, and sometimes when i pressed one of the pads, a few hours of use later and now there is no backlight whatsoever! I have literally been using it in my bedroom wearing socks, so theres no chance it's due to it being abused or anything, I have been so careful with it, so yeah, pretty annoyed right now! Anyone else had this issue? I've emailed the store where i bought it and also kmi aswell, hopefully I should be able to get a replacement somehow!
adamqlw

Re: Faulty Backlight

Postby adamqlw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Contact KMI directly. When my USB port started getting loose, apparently a common problem with early run models but now fixed, they had me send it in and sent me back a brand new one. If it's a valid problem I'm sure they will fix you up, you're still in the warranty period.
Peasy

Postby Peasy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:06 am

Yeah i've emailed KMI, just waiting for a reply. I mean at least it still works other than the backlight, it's not like it's totally unusable, but i am planning to use this on dark stages a lot so the backlight is kind of needed!
dirk

Postby dirk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:01 am

Hopefully you're not planning on playing it with guitar or bass. I have to disable mine manually every time I use just because of the noise interference issues.
Dirk
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:12 pm

On the other hand,

Considering some folks have difficulty getting the Softstep to remember (depending on OS # I think)that they want the backlight off at all times , if you play guitar or bass your issue posted here may be a plus!

Maybe if you could figure out how you managed to break the backlight permanently, you could share that info with string players that don't want a guitar cable stuck in their sock. If you don't know what I'm talkin' about here, you haven't spent much time on this forum. A lot of us have been spending time "in the dark" around issues with the SS !! (Mine has been in a dark drawer for quite a while.)

Just sayin'

O
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:56 am

I did actually get mine to remember I want it off, but I can't remember 'exactly' how! Basically you set it up with the lighting switched off, & save it as a scene, as if you were using the SS in standalone mode; I use mine hosted, but plug it in, & the lights come on briefly, then switch off permanently.
Only problem for me is that I want the 'INIT' setting, to send out raw CCs, & you can't save that as a 'scene', so I then still have to wait for the KMI software to boot up just so's I can select an 'INIT' setting, then shut down SS again & boot up my bidule setup. Lights still stay off though.
I'm sure I got the instructions on these forums somwhere how to do this, but 'fraid I can't find them right now.
It might not work with all OS's though; I'm on MacOS10.6.8, SS v2.1 & VK1. (I'm wondering about tinkering with VJ1 again to see if I can get back to a default raw CCs mode, but I'm fearing even if it works it'll screw something else up!)
Dave
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 am

The instructions on how to keep the lights off at all times has been around for quite some time:

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/f ... off-the-el
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
dirk

Postby dirk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Yeah if only those instructions worked on Win7 64 bit, they stay off as long as the SS in plugged in. I created a specific scene to do that, at least the name carries forward, the lights off do not.
Dirk
John NT

Postby John NT » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I got mine just a few hours ago and the backlight stopped working in about 20 minutes of use.
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:48 pm

dirk wrote:Yeah if only those instructions worked on Win7 64 bit, they stay off as long as the SS in plugged in. I created a specific scene to do that, at least the name carries forward, the lights off do not.
Dirk
Does Support at KMI care to respond to the Win 7 / 64 bit question?

You'd think that would be an easy fix, if it's not due to user error. Here's an example where the promise of continual "bug fix" updates should apply.

O

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”