Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

Qunexus preset question

hilomart

Qunexus preset question

Postby hilomart » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 am

Hi,
I didn't think I was such a noob anymore, but here I am with this question. I want to assign each preset to a different midi channel so that I can change midi channels through changing presets (preset a = midi ch 1, preset b = midi ch 2, preset c = midi ch 3, preset d = midi ch 4). I wanted to do this because changing presets is faster than the 3 seconds necessary to change midi channels on the Qunexus itself (by holding down the shift key, then pressing the 'channel' key, then choosing the channel).

I made 4 presets in the editor, and assigned and saved each to a midi channel 1 - 4 (by choosing the midi channel in the bottom left corner box in the editor), and then sent the presets to A-D in the editor, so that capital letters A, B, C, and D show up next to each preset. However, when changing presets on the Qunexus (by pressing the preset key, and then one of the 4 keys directly to the right), it does not change the midi channel as hoped.

I'm sure that this is an easy problem to fix, and that I'm just missing something here. But, if anyone can help walk me through what I did wrong in setting up, assigning, or implementing the presets, I'd be so so thankful! And, if I can provide any more information, please let me know!

Thanks in advance :)
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Qunexus preset question

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:32 am

By changing channel do you mean you want the notes and controller data sent out on different channels?
You will have to set both the keyboard layer to the appropriate channel. There is a box for choosing midi channel of the controller layer in the bottom right side FOR EACH NOTE. you'll have to shift + click to make this process faster.

Let me know if that was the issue.
hilomart

Postby hilomart » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, I don't follow exactly what you meant by having separate channels for the controller and keyboard layers. (After reading the manual a couple times, I still did not understand how these both interact.) So, maybe it's just easier if I describe what I want to do. I have 3 synths and a drum machine loaded into Ableton on midi channels 1-4. I want to be able to change the sending midi channel of the Qunexus quickly so that I can switch between the synths easily for playing live. I thought that I could do this by changing presets, and having 1 preset assigned to each midi channel 1-4.

I watched the KMI tutorial videos and read the manual a couple times, but am not sure how the Keyboard and Controller layers interact for how I'd like to use the Qunexus, and when to use the CoMa mode and if this is a better option to do what I want to do. I guess that this is a very elementary question, but I'm new to using KMI gear and it seems I have a steep learning curve to catch up with.

Thanks in advance for any further advice!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:14 am

What you have described doing seems like that's all you need to do. You must be missing a step in there somewhere. Are you sure that you have set each presets keyboard layer to a unique midi channel for the USB output?
Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 11.12.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 11.12.09 AM.png (9.5 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
Are you sure you sent the presets to the board?

Are you sure that you are properly selecting the preset?

Do have everything set up properly in Live?

I just set this up with Live and it works like a charm.

Maybe send me some screen shots, or a more detailed explanation of the steps you are taking, it can help me figure out where you've gone wrong.

Return to “QuNexus General Discussion”