Due to inactivity, the KMI Forums are now READ ONLY.
Here are some helpful links you can visit to get more up to date information about your KMI products:

KMI Downloads
KMI Support
KMI Facebook User Group

No response from QuNeo after upgrading firmware

DonCanley

No response from QuNeo after upgrading firmware

Postby DonCanley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Hello all,

I've been trying to set up my QuNeo with Modul8, but I haven't been able to get the program to recognize the controller. Furthermore, whenever I open up QuNeo editor it instructs me to update the firmware, which upon doing causes all of the LEDs to go out until I unplug the controller and plug it back in. There is no flashing blue LED indicating that the firmware update is running properly, albeit I've tried shutting everything else down, resetting my laptop (MBP running OSX 10.7.5), unplugging the controller while doing the update.... What else am I missing? Is there a way to do a hardware reset? Is it just a faulty unit?

Thanks in advance!

DC
TheSupport@KMI

Re: No response from QuNeo after upgrading firmware

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 pm

First, I would try a new USB cable. So, so often weird things like you describe are caused by a faulty USB cable, but makes it seem like it's the actual hardware's fault.

Next, I would try manually reinstalling your firmware. Here is a link to a page with all of the firmware files for the various QuNeo Editor releases: downloads/quneo/sysex_files The most recent one is 1.2.3 (named after the editor version number). Inside the zip should be a firmware file (Quneo_Firmware_v1.2.24.syx) and a bootloader file (enter_bootloader.syx).

The instructions for manually updating firmware can be found in the document I've attached to this comment (in the "Manually Updating Firmware" section). It's a zip of a pdf because the forum doesn't allow the posting of .pdf file extensions.

There are also some other suggestions in the attached doc that may be helpful to your situation.

If the manual firmware update works, then please please please open up the editor and hit the "Update All" button to update your presets. People often run into weird issues/behaviors if they update the firmware but then don't update their presets.
Attachments
quneo-firmware_troubleshooting.pdf.zip
QuNeo firmware troubleshooting guide.
(73.98 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
jrussell

The Wire Trick

Postby jrussell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:29 pm

If none of the hints in that doc help, there is one more thing you can try.

If a firmware update goes bad enough, it can get the QuNeo stuck where it thinks it is updated, and as such will not be accessible to put it into "boot loader" mode from software.

This is going to be very rare if you are not me (I am working on linux software to update the firmware, and as such flub my firmware pretty often).

However, if it does happen, there is one sure method to get into boot loader mode I like to call "The Wire Trick":
  • Unplug the QuNeo.
  • Plug it in
  • Quickly unplug it (before the "rainbow wipe"
  • Quickly plug it back in.
You should be rewarded by a solid blue program button. If not, try again.

I have been very successful with this method (>100 times so far), and it does not seem to be extremely timing sensitive other than the unplug has to be after the plug is fully inserted but before the Rainbow Wipe, and plugging back in after that is just as quick as you can physically cycle it out and back in to the jack.
NexusKin

Re: No response from QuNeo after upgrading firmware

Postby NexusKin » Wed May 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Did you ever get the QuNeo working with Modul8? I've seen videos of this application, but no presets. I'm trying to decide between Modul8 and Resolume right now and have a QuNeo, if it plays nicer with one software package than the other that will decide for me.

Return to “QuNeo General Discussion”